Critical Issues in Ethnomusicology
May 25-26, 2018
Deadline for Submission January 9, 2018 (midnight)
The CSTM/SCTM will meet in Regina, Saskatchewan, May 25-26, 2018. We invite proposals for papers, panels, roundtables, workshops, exhibits, film screenings, and other presentation formats. While we welcome submissions on a wide range of topics, we especially encourage proposals that explore the theme of Critical Issues in Ethnomusicology, including the following:
- Indigenizing and/or decolonizing the academy/music studies;
- Responses to and actions emerging from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission;
- Border crossing and migrations;
- Music as, or in response to, inclusion/exclusion
- Micro-histories and musical practices of communities large and small;
- Community-engaged methodologies and research reciprocity;
- Research-creation and other (new) research methodologies;
- Technologies for research dissemination including digital and multimedia representations;
- Other areas of critical engagement of interest to our membership.
Please note that CSTM/SCTM will meet before Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences 2018 (May 27-29, 2018, University of Regina).
Submissions are invited in the following formats:
- Individual papers (20-minute presentation, 10-minute discussion)
- Organized panels of 3-4 papers (90-120 minutes total)
- Roundtables (suggested format: 90 minutes with 4-6 panelist; other options will be considered)
- Other creative presentations or workshops involving performance, scholarship, and discussion
Proposals should be submitted using the online form below, in English or French, before January 9, 2018 (midnight).
Please fill out the appropriate form below for papers, panels, or roundtables/workshops.
Individual Papers: https://tinyurl.com/yc6sbszw
Roundtables & Workshops: https://tinyurl.com/ydybsk7n
You will be asked for:
- Presenter’s full name, institutional affiliation, department, and contact information
- Presentation title
- 250-word abstract
- 150-word abstract (to be printed in the conference program)
- 100-word biography
- Audiovisual Requests
- For organized panels: Please note that the panel organizer must submit panel abstracts (250 words and 150 words) describing the rationale for the panel as a whole as well as abstracts (and accompanying presenter bios and A/V requests) for the individual papers. Panel participants must pre-register for the conference.
- For roundtables and workshops: the organizer of a round table or workshop should submit abstracts (250 words and 150 words), a list of A/V requests, and short biographies (100 words max.) for each invited speaker/discussant. All participants must register for the pre-conference.
Submission of a proposal denotes willingness and ability to attend the 2018 Conference.
Monique Giroux (University of Lethbridge, Chair)
Leila Qashu (Concordia University)
Chris McDonald (Cape Breton University)
Alexa Woloshyn (Carnegie Melon University)
Jeffrey van den Scott (Memorial University of Newfoundland)
Conference registration and membership in CSTM: All presenters must pre-register for the conference and hold a current CSTM membership.
Registration for CSTM 2018 in Regina is now open! The program will be available shortly.
Presenters: please register by April 30, 2018.
For further information, please contact the Program Chair, Dr. Monique Giroux (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the CSTM Secretary, Dr. Meghan Forsyth (email@example.com).